Tuesday 11 May 2010

7th May 2010

Hand, Indian Ink Washes, 40 Minutes.

I was very happy with this one and glad that I started again. This time I was aiming to create a sense of form by using a Henry Moore style contour drawing method. To me it looks a bit like a potato and reminded me of Two Seamus Heaney poems that I studied in school, in one Heaney talks about the pen being the tool that he will wield in order to support himself as opposed to the spade that his father used; "Ill dig with it", this looks to me like the hand that would hold such a pen. In the other Heaney talks about peeling potatoes with his mother, and it being a moment of silence and closeness, this is also one of my mothers favourite poems. I hope that this image can create a resonance for other people too.


Hand, Indian Ink using a dip pen and wash, 10 Minutes.
I had the idea that I wanted to see what I could create using a dip pen and indian ink as this is a medium that one of my current favourite artists, Dave McKean, works in. I wasn't particularly satisfied so I began a second piece, the one above.

No comments:

Post a Comment